Whether you’re cutting down on the coffee or cutting it out completely, you don’t have to go without a warming cup of deliciousness on your break.
Just give these healthy home made coffee alternatives a try...
Also known as 'golden milk', turmeric lattes are very much inspired by the Indian drink haldi doodh. Known as a powerful antioxidant, turmeric also offers anti-inflammatory and anti-aging benefits and has been linked to lowering bad cholesterol.
- 2 cups of milk (almond milk if preferred) or water (milk will make the latte far creamier)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoon of top grade honey or agave nectar (to taste)
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A very small pinch of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Tiny pinch of black pepper
Carefully warm the milk in a saucepan being mindful not to boil. Add all the other ingredients and stir through for 2-4 minutes. Add more honey or nectar if a sweeter taste is desired.
A natural and very powerful green tea matcha originates from Japan and is packed full of health boosting anti-oxidants. It has shown to boost mood, calm the mind and help increase the metabolism. It contains caffeine but is a lower amount compared to a regular cup of black coffee and is released much slower into the blood stream meaning less jitters and more sustained focus.
- 2 cups of rice or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- A squeeze of honey or good quality agave nectar
Gently and slowly heat all of the ingredients in a pan and serve. If you have a hand mixer then use it for an amazingly creamy texture!
Hot Water and Lemon
Cleansing, hydrating and wonderful for your immune system this simple drink is packed full of vitamin C and will help boost your energy levels any time of the day!
- 1 cup or mug of boiling water
- A slice of lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey or good quality agave nectar
Simply add all of the ingredients to your favourite cup or mug and take 5 minutes to yourself!
For more healthy food recipes and ideas check out our meal plan The Fit Food Diet.